Monday, May 06, 2013

thought for the day-- the culture of the nba??

So I skipped Church yesterday, , stayed home and watched MEET THE PRESS….interesting issues mixed with interesting views and commentary. The conversation moved to Jason Collins, the 1st NBA player who recently came out of the closet. I was struck by the following statement in highlighted in bold. I copied the transcript:

RICH LOWRY: (editor of National Review)

Yeah. Now look, this is a sign that social attitudes are changing. This wouldn't have been celebrated the way it has been 30 or 40 years ago. I mean he got a call immediately from Oprah and the president of the United States, right? You can't get more social affirmation than that.

But it also feels as though it shouldn't be a big deal, really. But one of the reasons it is, is I don't know whether you fall into the back and forth between the Knicks and the Celtics players during their series, but the culture of major league sports and the NBA is at about a seventh or eighth grade level.  And I think that's one of the reasons this is such a big deal.

HOW OFFENSIVE IS THIS???



No comments: