|Beyonce and Jay-Z in Cuba (Ramon Espinosa/AP Photo) |
Americans are not allowed to patronize Cuba unless they have a licensed issued by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.
According to Wikipedia,
A specific license requires paperwork and State Department approval on case-by-case basis. You may be approved for a specific license if you fall into a certain class of persons. Note that a specific license may be granted to an institution (i.e. university, church) under whose auspices an individual may then travel without applying separately to the State department, or a specific license may be applied for and granted to an individual. Some of the classes of persons who may be granted a specific license are:
Persons visiting immediate family in Cuba
• Full-time graduate students conducting academic research to be counted toward a graduate degree
• Undergraduate or graduate students participating in a study abroad program of at least 10 weeks in length
• Professors/teachers employed at a US institution travelling to Cuba to teach
• Persons engaging in religious activities
• Freelance journalists
• Persons engaging in humanitarian projects
• Persons engaging in non-profit cultural exhibitions
I assume the knowles-carters fell into one of the last 2 categories (if not both). Jay z obviously likes: to win, to be exclusive, to do things that are above and beyond the common man and rapper. Mr. carter didn’t take too kindly to the unlicensed speculation and fired off at Sen. Marco Rubio, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart – who asked the Treasury for an investigation into the power couple’s trip with an “open letter”. I can appreciate the song as it’s a step above beefing with rappers and other low hanging fruit.
The white house response was light as it was a non-issue. Our government has bigger fish to fry (North Korea, the Economy, HealthCare, etc).