Wednesday, February 25, 2009

How to fight stereotypes

Set yourself apart. You don’t have to be like everyone else. Be different. Be bold. Be strong. Be courageous. Be informed. Be literate. Be progressive. Don’t let someone’s lower your bar. Keep your standards up high. Black people have a long history of winning through the most heinous of adversities.

Upon the celebration of Black History Month, it’s good to learn and reflect upon those that came before us and the trails that they blazed. There are examples all of progressive non stereotypical black people in every sector of business and life.

I am an artist. What motivates me is to be the best. To be different. I don’t want to what other artists have done. I want to do my own thing. I want to have my own style. My own voice. Yet I can learn from the past and present artists in various mediums.

I am Christian. I choose to be Christ like, of which is a driving force in my being. It’s is important that I adhere to the tenets of the faith wholeheartedly not passively.

I am a husband. I am a father. I am passionate about my family. I want to create a beautiful life for them. I want my children to be exposed to the very best that life has to offer. I want them to capitalize on every opportunity that fits their profile.

I am committed to growth. Everyday of my life, I want to grow. I want to become more. I want to become better. I want more out of life. And this is how I fight stereotypes.

No comments: